Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ready, set, go!!!


We have been blessed with yet another miracle!  Our insurance has been reinstated (LONG story not worth telling) and Anastasia’s surgery has been approved!  Now all we have to do is go on quarantine to keep her well the next 9 days (well, actually the next couple of months would be nice, but I suppose I should not be too greedy!).    

Alexander is super jealous that Annie gets to stay home from school and has decided that pooping in his pants is a really good idea and a way to show us!  I understand that it is probably the only thing he feels he has control over, but I am so over poop!  I never knew I would get to a point where talking about poop is as common place as talking about the weather or what’s for dinner.  We had a conference with his teachers the other day and they told us one day he ran out of the bathroom and declared, “I pooped in the potty.  It was brown and green and REALLY big”.  Yep, that’s my kid!  We are trying to praise him a lot when he chooses to go in the potty (because it is definitely a choice for him!) so we called Aunt Katie last night from the car to tell her about his great pooping day.  I say, “Alexander, tell Aunt Katie where you pooped today”, and he said in a really excited voice, “I pooped in the potty”.  Aunt Katie promptly threw him a virtual parade for his accomplishment, at which point Annie spoke up and said in an excited voice, “I poop in my pants”.  How do you not just laugh!

At least poop stories (not the cleaning up part) make me laugh.  I am trying really hard not to think a lot about it, but when I do I get really nervous about next week.  I know in the long run it will be well worth it for her, but the whole process just sucks for her.  She cried non-stop for about 12 hours straight after her last surgery because she was in so much pain and so unhappy.  Valium and pain meds didn't work at all for her.  She was so miserable.  Granted, that was a much more complex and lengthy procedure, but it’s hard not to think about her pitiful little face that said please do something to help me. 

The good news is that she is a trooper and nothing keeps her down for long, so I know she will prevail!  Just wish she didn't always have to be tested though! 


1 comment: