Friday, April 6, 2012

Bye-Bye Bandage

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:14 PM, CST
Friday was rough, but we made it to West Palm Beach and back in one day, unscathed for the most part.  We missed our connecting flight due to fog, so we of course missed our scheduled appointment and our flight back home.  Luckily, they still saw us (albeit a bit rushed) and we managed to get on another flight home Friday night.  Annie was a COMPLETE doll the entire day.  It was pretty unbelievable, especially considering she has pneumonia, RSV, and an ear infection.  She was a big flirt, waving and saying hi to everyone she saw.  She made a lot of otherwise grumpy travelers smile!

Doc was very pleased with her new thumb.  He thinks it is in a great position and looks great.  He was quite impressed with himself (rightfully so!).  I know once it heals and the scabs fall off it will look great, but for now it looks a little scary (the scab cam e off her palm and it looks great).  It looks much like it did a couple of weeks ago when her bandage came off, which is kind of surprising.  I guess I was thinking it would look a lot better.  It is, however, amazing to see her grasping with it already.  She is not actively moving it yet, but she is using it as you would a thumb for leverage.  She starts daily OT on Monday, which in time will hopefully teach her to use it.


We are so lucky that Anastasia is such a happy and sweet little angel!  She just melts my heart!  She also makes my heart ache in ways I didn’t even know possible.  Deep down I know that she will overcome any obstacle that stands in her way, but sometimes it makes me so very sad to see her go through what she has gone through.  For the most part I try not to dwell on it, but some days I just want to shout WHY her and scream how unfair it is.  Watching your child struggle and suffer is overwhelming at times.  God has graced Annie with the most amazing spirit and personality, and for that I feel so blessed!

1 comment: