Friday, April 6, 2012

Open Heart Surgery Scheduled

Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:15 PM, CDT
I don’t particularly like rollercoasters.  The ups and steep downs scare me and make me sick to my stomach.  Why is it that our lives have turned into one that never seems to end?  I know, it supposedly builds character, but please, enough already!  Upon discharge from the hospital the cardiologist that watched over Anastasia during her stay told us that he was hopeful that she would be able to make it 5 more weeks before having surgery.  He went on to explain that children that are older and bigger do a lot better and have less complications overall.  He also said that since Anastasia is so young and her hole is so large that the surgery would be more difficult if it had to be done right now because there is not sufficient tissue to attach the patch to.

Imagine my surprise when I received a call from the cardiothoracic surgeons office on Thursday (the day after she got out of the hospital) informing me that she had been scheduled for surgery April 5th.  WHAT?  That was only 12 days away, not 5 weeks.  I explained what we had been told upon discharge about the 5 weeks, but she told me that Dr. Fish was involved and he feels she needs surgery sooner rather than later.  That call literally took my breath away.  I knew this day would come, but I really did not think it would be so soon.  I am glad that we see Dr. Fish this Tuesday since he has been out of town the last week. 

Anastasia continues to have issues with throwing up.  We saw the pediatrician yesterday and he added Prevacid to her drug regime to see if that helps.  He also adjusted her feeding schedule to a slow, continuous feed for 10 hours at night so we don’t have to wake her to feed her.  Last night went really well and she pretty much slept through the night.  She still coughed quite a bit, but once I picked her up and patted her back she calmed down and went right back to sleep.  Her coughing spells really scare me, so I can only imagine how she must feel. 

I still cannot believe that her surgery is going to be in 10 days.  I suppose I will never really be ready for it, but it just seems too soon.  It is so very hard to see your child struggle so much to do the simple things like eat and breathe.  I know that the surgery is the answer to make her well, but I would do anything to make it different for her.  I am absolutely terrified that she won’t make it.  I am very, very sad and it is difficult to think of much else.   Actually, it is difficult to think in general.  Good thing I am not working right now.  Speaking of which, I am lucky to live in a state that allows for additional FMLA leave time for the birth of a baby.  Instead of the standard 12, I have 16 weeks. 

I don’t know what I would do without the support from my wonderful family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment